The present Miami Shores roughly corresponds with the original “Biscayne” neighborhood of the City of Miami. With the arrival of the Great Depression, the City of Miami gave up its jurisdiction and the area incorporated under the name Miami Shores Village in 1932. Previously, part of the area that now comprises the City of North Miami had been known as Miami Shores.
Today, Miami Shores is primarily a bedroom community for those working in Greater Miami, and also has a sizable retired population. The village is mostly single family residential, with very few multi-family units and only two small commercial areas along Northeast 2nd Avenue and Biscayne Boulevard.
While it is frequently referred to as “Miami Shores” or the “Village of Miami Shores,” the municipality’s official name under its charter is “Miami Shores Village.”